How Durian Tours Started
In 2014, I published my first Durian Guide book, The Durian Tourist’s Guide to Thailand.
My friend Roy asked if I could take him to some of the places in my book. I agreed. It sounded fun to take a friend out to a place I loved, show them some beautiful views, introduce them to durian farmers and eat my favorite durians together.
He invited his friends, and soon we had a full van of hungry durian lovers who soon became my friends too.
That’s how I started leading Durian Tours.
Soon, I was getting frequent requests from readers of this website to take them with me too. I decided to put together tours to highlight my favorite durian-growing regions, farmers, and of course durians.
The first official Durian Tours launched in 2015, and now its like A Thing That Happens Every Year! Life is such a surprise.
Upcoming Durian Tours
For Durian Lovers ONLY
These tours are designed for the hard core, the fanatical, the truly obsessed, the durian LOVERS who want to dive in to durian and durian culture with both hands. Double fisting durian on these tours is totally good etiquette.
We use durian as the backbone of the trip, traveling from one good durian-growing region to another and organizing our day around farms and stalls with something exceptionally tasty. By the end of the tour, you should have learned:
- The RANGE of flavors available in a country
- The major VARIETIES available in a country, and their own range of flavors and textures
- The TERROIR of different regions and how the landscape changes and affects durian flavor
- The TECHNIQUES used by durian farmers and sellers to achieve different preferred flavors
- How to SELECT the perfect durian for you and your friends, according to your taste buds.
Yeah, it’s a lot of durian. I didn’t think you’d mind ??