I already know you love durian. You have enough enthusiasm for durian to have decided to read about it on the internet, and so stumbled across this durian-obsessive website. Crazy it exists right? Now you’re realizing that there is an entire book all about traveling to the Island of Penang in Malaysia just to eat durian.
Doesn’t the world feel both a little bit more absurd and a little bit more awesome?
The Penang Durian Guide Mission:
This book is not just a travel guide or an eating guide. Yes, it will help you visit durian farms and durian stalls in Penang. It will teach you how to identify more than 25 different varieties of durian. It will show you how to choose good durian and avoid the bad. But that is not this book’s mission.
The mission of The Penang Durian Guide is to turn you into a durian connoisseur. A connoisseur cares about the whole story. Flavor is the story of a place and it’s people and history. Through eating delectable, delicious durian, I want you to get to know and to love Penang as a place as intimately as I have over these last 7 years.
I hope you you use this book for the good of your tummy, your mind, your friendships, and just maybe the world.
What’s Inside This Book:
The Penang Durian Guide is organized into 7 convenient chapters for all your durian-munching needs. Here’s a look at the Table of Contents:
- Introducing Penang
- Getting To and Around Penang
- Where To Stay and Durian Farmstays
- Sample 4-Day Durian Itinerary
- A Durian History
- Buying Durian
- When To Go For Penang Durian Season
- Guide to Off-Season Durian
- Where To Buy Durian
- How To Buy Durian
- Step By Step at a Durian Stall
- When to Reject Durian
- When to Buy Pre-Packaged Durian
- How to take Durian Home
- Tasting Durian
- Why Durian Tastes Like Durian (Science Stuff)
- Why Old Tree Matters
- Terroir of Penang
- Choosing Durian
- Choosing Good Durian
- Avoiding Bad Durian
- Varieties By Flavor and Texture
- Identifying Durians
- Durian Hunter’s Checklist
- How to Identify Different Varieties
- The Durian Field Guide (26 Durian Varieties)
- Finding Durian: Stalls and Farms
- George Town Durian Stalls and Walking Tour
- The Middle: Air Itam to Balik Pulau
- The Northwest: Batu Ferringhi to Balik Pulau
- The South: Bayan Lepas to Kampung Genting
- The Mainland: Seberang Perai
- Durian Cuisine
- Citations and References
Click here to view a more pages from this book. All material is copyright of Year of the Durian.