Welcome to Karak, Pahang
This misty little district along the old haunted highway running across the Malaysian peninsula is hidden in the folds of the granite hills of the Titiwangsa Mountain Range.
It’s a region encircled by jungles and mythology, a place echoing with the history of warring empires, sultanates, and bands of tribal people called the Orang Asli, the aboriginal Malaysians. Here in these small-holder farms and villages you can still spy the occasional hornbill or hear gibbons in the distance, even while not far away rusty scars of mining operations and new commercial Musang King farms transform the rolling hillsides into earthen lumps.
It’s a place where agriculture and nature are at an uneasy balance that can be overturned at any time. We hope that promoting export from smaller farms will help keep the peace.
This Durian Box includes *five* varieties from the Karak/Lanchang region of Peninsular Malaysia
These are 400g packets!
- D78: Cookie-dough dense, this heavy, classic durian really fills your belly when you’re craving and has a surprisingly bitter edge.
- D144: Rosy-orange and plump, D144 is a robust, slightly berry-aroma durian with a dose of milky coffee.
- D24: A smoother, more buttery durian with bitter overtones of espresso.
- Tekka: Egg-custard rich and fatty, Tekka has a lingering Kahlúa-like syrupy-sweet alcohol with coffee aroma.
- Musang King: This 30-year-old-tree, organic Musang King, is silky smooth and alcoholic, with a berry-richness like red wine over custard.
- Complimentary 150g sample of J33 Jackfruit
- Tasting Instructions and recommended order to eat them
- Video Farm Tours by licensed local tour guides to take you on a virtual Durian Tour through the farms
- Educational materials
- Support for the Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary
This is a Mail Order Durian package – you can buy durian online and it ships anywhere in the USA & Canada. Please inquire for other countries.
Want to order in bulk?
Please inquire by sending a message to [email protected]
About Durian Daun/Durian Sempe
Durian Daun is another species of durian called Durio lowianus. If you liked Durio graveolens from our Borneo box, you will likely love this one!
This tastes like the wild jungle, but was once purposefully planted in people’s backyards and farms. It has thin, pungent, flavorful flesh with that crazy tropical zing that you only get in semi-wild fruits.
The trees are usually very old, even hundreds of years, as no one plants them commercially anymore, and people rarely remember who planted them in the first place. These are non-grafted trees and each tree varies in thickness of flesh and aroma.
For this project, Kamil coordinated with the local villagers to bring together their fruits and bring them out to meet our transporter so you can get a taste of this very old type of durian from the kampungs of inland Malaysia.
Malaysia is an increasingly uncomfortable home for 1,200 – 1,400 wild Asian elephants.
Elephants love secondary forests and new farmland full of sun and new, tender trees, so fruit farms are often their ideal neighborhood supermarket. But since elephants rarely pay for what they eat, this brings them into conflict with farmers.
The Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary’s purpose is to mitigate conflict between wild elephants and humans through public education, hotlines that farmers can call if they’re having problems with an elephant, and providing a forever home to elephants who get injured, sick or orphaned.
It is the only elephant-focused organization in Malaysia and although it is government-funded a large portion of salaries and elephant-food come directly from visitor donations.
We want to thank Kamil and the local community for helping us to bring you their Durian Daun for this box, and will be sending back $5 per box to support the elephant’s gargantuan appetite for cane sugar and fruits and to help provide salary to the men who take care of them.
You can also donate to Kuala Gandah here.
About J33 Jackfruit
Lanchang/Karak region grows a variety of jackfruit called J33, or Nangka Madu.
It’s a dry, sweet, rubbery-textured jackfruit that crunches when you bite but is soft and sweet. It’s among Richard’s favorite foods ever.
We wanted to truly take you along to experience the Karak area, so we decided to include J33 because we would ALWAYS eat this while driving through this area on the Malaysia 10-Day Durian Tour.
You can also order J33 in 400g packets here.
Meet the Durian Growers
To get these durians to you still cold, we are using a compostable insulation made out of corn. Simply remove the plastic and throw into your compost pile, or throw it in the sink, turn the water on, and watch it melt.
Unboxing Year of the Durian Around the World!
Watch customers from all over the world experience our Durian Tours In A Box to get an idea of the delicious fun you can expect when your box arrives.
The following reasons are covered under our refund/replacement policy:
- We will replace boxes lost by UPS/FedEx
- Late delivery or improper handling by UPS/FedEx that results in spoilage or damage
- Anything that is our mistake is on us
What we may not cover:
- If you change your address mid-shipment or pick-up location mid-shipment, and the box is delayed as a result.
- If you don’t pay your import fees on time, and the delivery is delayed as a result.
To claim a refund/replacement, please notify us within *24 hours* of receiving your box with Photos.
- Please notify us of cancellations before the Friday 11:59PM before the Shipping Monday. All boxes ship on Monday only.
- Cancellations will receive a full refund minus the credit card transaction fees, which are non-refundable.