Welcome to Penang
Penang Island may be the most famous durian destination in the world.
It’s an island famous for food and foodies, a place where eating clubs go on holiday to rampage over a vast melting pot of cuisine. Once a trading mecca, Penang attracted settlers from China, India, the Middle East and parts of Europe, who melded together into a solidly unique food culture – and one that is decidedly obsessed with the Best of the Best of the Best Durian.
The island’s small size means even the hipster Inner City Kids are just a 20-minute drive from prime durian real estate, old farms tousled by the dry sea breeze atop the crags and folds of the island’s steep mountains.
These mountain crevices hide a huge geography of winding cement trails, hidden fishing villages, beaches, Chinese and Hindu temples, and durians and durian people that we hope you will delight in discovering as you munch your way through this Durian Tasting Box.
This Durian Box includes *five* varieties from Penang, Malaysia
These are 400g packets!
- Kun Poh: One of the oldest durian varieties on Penang, Kun Poh has dark yellow/orange flesh, is extremely soft and milky, and is sweet with hints of coffee.
- Hor Lor: Often confused with Musang King because of its dark yellow, sticky and dry flesh, Hor Lor is nutty and sweet reminiscent of Peanut-Butter-Cup Chocolate.
- Green Skin:The most “bitter” of the four, this robust and buttery durian has a metallic edge that dark chocolate lovers will appreciate.
- Red Prawn:The Penang Classic, Red Prawn is like a dessert wine with floral notes and a light rosè tingle.
- Black Thorn: Dense and intense, Black Thorn is now the most expensive durian variety in Malaysia. It’s rich, buttery, and has an alcoholic tinge like a heavy red wine.
- *Complimentary 100g sample of Rambutan OR Cempedak King*
- Tasting Instructions and recommended order to eat them
- Video Farm Tours by licensed local tour guides to take you on a virtual Durian Tour through the farms
- Educational materials
This is a Mail Order Durian package – you can buy durian online and it ships anywhere in the USA & Canada. Please inquire for other countries.
Want to order in bulk?
Please inquire by sending a message to [email protected]
About the Extra
What is life without the little extras?
Do you remember that childhood joy of getting a box of cereal and knowing there was something extra inside?
We wanted to add some special, so we decided to include a fruit you would ALWAYS find on our tasting table on a Penang Durian Tour.
These days, half our tour guests travel to Penang just to taste the extremely sweet, succulent and intensely bubblegum-orange Cempedak King, which is a hybrid of jackfruit and cempedak that originates on Penang Island.
You can also order Cempedak King separately here.
The Floral, the Wine – shall we get drunk a little?
Penang Durian is distinctly delicate compared to durians in other parts of the country. The flavor is predominantly floral, fruity, and tingling with just a buzz of alcohol.
Think rosé wine not red, a glass of champagne not port – just enough to raise a little heat to your cheeks and a celebratory smile to your lips.
These durians are softer, smoother, and more alcoholic than any durian we offer on Year of the Durian.
But Bitter-Buyers Beware – the only truly bitter durian in this box is Green Skin or Kapri. If you’re after a box dedicated to the bitters, head over to our 5-Variety Karak Box Set.
Meet the Durian Farmers
On the Blog:
To get these durians to you still cold, we are using a compostable insulation made out of corn. Simply remove the plastic and throw into your compost pile, or throw it in the sink, turn the water on, and watch it melt.
Unboxing Year of the Durian Around the World!
Watch customers from all over the world experience our Durian Tours In A Box to get an idea of the delicious fun you can expect when your box arrives.
The following reasons are covered under our refund/replacement policy:
- We will replace boxes lost by UPS/FedEx
- Late delivery or improper handling by UPS/FedEx that results in spoilage or damage
- Anything that is our mistake is on us
What we may not cover:
- If you change your address mid-shipment or pick-up location mid-shipment, and the box is delayed as a result.
- If you don’t pay your import fees on time, and the delivery is delayed as a result.
To claim a refund/replacement, please notify us within *24 hours* of receiving your box with Photos.
- Please notify us of cancellations before the Friday 11:59PM before the Shipping Monday. All boxes ship on Monday only.
- Cancellations will receive a full refund minus the credit card transaction fees, which are non-refundable.