This box includes free shipping to all 48 states of the continental USA 🇺🇸
Welcome to Malaysian Borneo!
This box is A Taste of Borneo, a sampler pack with 5 incredible semi-domesticated durian species sent from your wildest fruit-dreams in Sarawak, in Malaysian Borneo, to your doorstep!
These durians were sourced from two locations: from the Bisaya community in Limbang, northern Sarawak, and from the Iban peoples of Sibu, in the middle of Sarawak.
They live along the wide brown rivers of the low-lying, swampy coastal region. In these wet conditions, two species of durians thrive: Durio graveolens and Durio kutejensis. Although they are spiky, round, and have a creamy, fatty flesh, they are unique from their commercialized relative, the normal Durian.
The Bisaya have been settled agriculturalists since ancient times, passing down their farms and their knowledge through generations of supplying fruits and other natural resources to nearby city of Brunei. Durians in Limbang are more highly selected, improved quality, and more expensive than durians in other parts of Borneo.
The Ibans around Sibu were a nomadic, a war-faring tribe that only settled into stationary settlements in the last century. Their durians, the orange and yellow Isu, are more wild and “natural,” with more variation in flavor, texture and fleshiness. We have heavily selected/graded these durians to provide only the best available.
So close your eyes, take a bite, and imagine yourself whisked out of your living room, kitchen, bedroom (no judgment) or patio off to a hot, steamy morning under a deep blue sky, a river full of crocodiles, and Norah with her machete carefully opening these durians for your breakfast.
This sampler pack includes SEVEN items from the island of Borneo:
- Limbang Red Otak Udang Galah (D. graveolens): This unique category of durian refers to all D. graveolens types that have a mottled red, orange and yellow colored flesh. They typically have a smooth, very dense cream-cheesy texture and an intense cherry-liquor flavor.
- Limbang Orange Lalit (D. graveolens): Peanut-Buttery and sticky, Orange Lalit is sweeter than Otak Udang Galah but just as fleshy and delicious.
- Isu Yellow (D. graveolens): Yellow Isu is the unselected or semi “wild” backyard durians that grow around the Sibu region. They are sweeter than their orange counterparts but just as sticky and dense.
- Isu Orange (D. graveolens): Among the zingiest, most “wild” tasting durians in the world, Orange Isus have been compared to peanut-butter with the alcoholic tang of overripe pineapples.
- Pakan (D. kutejensis): Adored by people who claim “durian is too smelly,” Pakan is a unique type of durian that smells more like a jackfruit but is sweet, dense and creamy.
- Dabai (C. odontophyllum): The savory favorite, these fatty and filling fruits are sometimes called “tropical olives” as they are more umami than sweet and often have herbal elements like rosemary, thyme or lemon.
- Tarap/Terap (A. odoratissimus): Super sweet and vanilla-ey, these odiferous relatives of jackfruits are an absolute dream for those with a sweet-tooth.
- OPTIONAL ADD ON: Kuini Mangoes (M. foetida x indica): One of our favorite fruits of ALL TIME, Kuinis are a beautiful hybrid of a wild mango species and the regular domesticated mango. They are very sweet, citrusy, refreshing, and have an unusual herbal/terpene element to them that elevates them from delicious to divine.
This is a Mail Order Durian package – you can buy durian online and ship it anywhere in the US, Canada or some places in Europe 🙂
Want to buy bigger quantities? Head over to our Bulk Page.
Retailers please inquire at [email protected]
**Disclaimer: This is Not Musang King**
These durians DO NOT taste like Musang King, so don’t expect sweet, fleshy, and normal.
These durians are zingy, alcoholic, wild, and very, very thick-textured and cream-cheesy. Taking a bite is almost like licking a spoonful of peanut butter. Be ready!
These durians are selections of wild D. graveolens (which gives them their intense coloration and in-your-face perfume) and D. kutejensis, which has a sweeter, bubble-gummy, almost jackfruit-aroma. They are not commercialized, and there are no varieties or grafted durians in this package. All of these durians were planted from seed and were not sprayed with pesticides.
We have selected them very carefully to remove fruits that we rated as “too-thin-flesh” – so there should be a good bite on each seed. However, if you like fleshier durians, hit up our commercial durians on the Build-Your-Own Box page. We understand sometimes you’re just durian hungry!
These durians were blast frozen to -40C. This type of freezing process does not rupture the cell walls and better preserves the durian meat’s natural shape and texture when you thaw it to eat.
This is as Borneo-to-your-table-in-America as we can do. It’s definitely a team effort.
*Meet the Durian Farmers*
On the Blog:
*No Styrofoam Packaging*
To get these durians to you still cold, we need sturdy insulation. We have switched to a corn-based compostable insulation that you can just throw in the backyard and watch rainwater dissolve it.
We use a combination of dry ice and reusable gel packs to keep your durian frosty 🥶
Want to buy bigger quantities? Head over to our Bulk Page.
Unboxing Year of the Durian Around the World!
Watch customers from all over the world experience our Durian Tours In A Box to get an idea of the delicious fun you can expect when your box arrives.
The following situations are covered under our credit/replacement policy:
- We will replace boxes lost by the local courier
- We will replace boxes damaged by late delivery or improper handling by the local courier
- Anything that is our mistake is on us and will be either replaced directly or covered by a generous credit policy
- Refunds are issued in special circumstances only
What we don’t cover:
- If you change your address mid-shipment and the box is misplaced or damaged as a result (this includes sending to a UPS Access Center).
- If UPS has attempted delivery on multiple days but you did not attempt to get in touch with UPS or Team Durian to notify us of problems.
- If you don’t pay your import fees on time, and the delivery is delayed as a result.
- All international shipments other than Canada
Please note we are not able to insure international shipments to Europe or countries other than the United States and Canada.
To claim our replacement, please notify us within *24 hours* of receiving your box with Photos.
- Please notify us of cancellations before the Friday 11:59PM before the Monday Shipping. All boxes ship on Mondays only.