Sawasdee! Welcome to Chanthaburi!
This sleepy coastal outpost on the spice route between Bangkok and China evolved into the biggest durian producing province in the whole world. If you’ve ever tasted frozen durian in your home country, it’s likely it was grown here.
The Durian Industry was a natural development for a corner of Thailand that has always stayed quietly industrious. Beginning in the 1790’s with Vietnamese Christians fleeing persecution, then Chinese fleeing the White Rebellion, people trickled into Chanthaburi looking for a peaceful refuge to settle down and be prosperous.
It’s a place where almost everyone has 100-year-old mangosteen trees in their backyards, where people from other parts of Thailand travel to taste grandma’s recipes and see ancient relics, and where you can find a huge diversity of old durian varieties collected and cultivated by generations of careful gardeners.
But it’s also a place so successful that modern agriculture and the demands of the commercial export industry is erasing a delicious agricultural legacy.
So in Honor of the Gardeners of Chanthaburi, we are pleased to present 6 Varieties of Local Durians
This Durian Box includes *six* varieties
** No artificial ripening agents or other chemicals were used on these durians. These are cut-harvested at full maturity and allowed to ripen naturally for full farm flavor, the same quality as if you were eating durian on a Thai Farm**
- Monthong (หมอนทอง): Sweet and enormously fleshy, this is the classic durian from Thailand and is the bread and butter of Chanthaburi. Taste what it’s like harvested at full maturity and ripened without chemicals for a fully decadent experience.
- Chanee Koh Chang (ชะนีเกาะช้าง): Old-tree Chanee durian from the island of Koh Chang has a uniquely sticky, egg-custard texture and a beautiful whipped vanilla-nut flavor with a tinge of that island sea salt. If you’re accustomed to bitter and sloppy Chanee, give this version a try!
- Nokyib (นกหยิบ): This bright gold durian is beautiful to see and to taste! It’s dark yellow flesh is thick and bready, with a peculiar roasted-canteloupe and hazelnut flavor all its own.
- Ganyao (ก้านยาว): The classic choice of the Thai aristocracy, Ganyao is a wonderful beginner durian for those who don’t love the pungent aroma of durian but love the intensely thick creamy texture and mild sweetness of a sophisticated, rich dessert.
- Nuanthongchan: The gorgeous salmon-pink flesh of Nuanthongchan leaves little to be desired; it’s sticky and dry like Musang King with a beautiful nutty-caramel milkiness that ranks this durian among Lindsay’s all-time favorites.
- Puangmanee (พวงมณี): The most intensely sweet of this collection, Puangmanee’s orange-gold flesh makes up in Oomph what it lack in fleshiness. It’s a mouthwatering Dulce de Leche caramel of a durian that will leave you with a sweet, nutty aftertaste to savor.
- Sala Noen Wong : This sweet-sour variety of Thai snakefruit originates from farms around the Noen Wong Fort in Chanthaburi. Anyone who loved Jolly Ranchers as a child should love Noen Wong!
- Sala Sumalee: The sweeter and more commercially accepted Thai snakefruit, Sumalee also has the acrid pineapple funk of this species of snakefruit (S. wallichiana hybrids)
- *Complimentary 15g sample of Freeze Dried Durian (100% durian)
- Tasting Instructions and recommended order to eat them
- Video Farm Tours by licensed local tour guides to take you on a virtual Durian Tour through the farms
- Written Recipe and Video Instructions for making Tsikwate with the Tableya
- More educational materials
This is a Mail Order Durian package – you can buy durian online and it ships to 96% of destinations in Australia.
Looking for US 🇺🇸 or Canada 🇨🇦?
Exploring Chanthaburi Durians
Meet the Farmers
*No Styrofoam Packaging*
To get these durians to you still cold, we need sturdy insulation.
We have switched to a corn-based compostable insulation that you can just throw in the backyard and watch rainwater dissolve it.
We use a combination of dry ice and reusable gel packs.
If you would like to get your durians completely Packaging-Free, please contact us about our Re-usable Bulk Box shipping options 🙂
Unboxing Year of the Durian Around the World!
Watch customers from all over the world experience our Durian Tours In A Box to get an idea of the delicious fun you can expect when your box arrives.
The following situations are covered under our refund/replacement policy:
- We will replace boxes lost by the local courier
- We will replace boxes damaged by late delivery or improper handling by the local courier
- Anything that is our mistake is on us and will be either replaced or covered by a generous credit policy
- Refunds issued in special circumstances only
What we don’t cover:
- If you change your address mid-shipment and the box is misplaced or damaged as a result.
To claim our replacement, please notify us within *24 hours* of receiving your box with Photos.
- Please notify us of cancellations before the Saturday 11:59PM before the Shipping Wednesday. All boxes ship on Wednesday only.
Jackie (verified owner) –
I’ve never had any Thai durian varieties except Monthong and I absolutely love the Chanee, Puangmanee and Nuanthongchan varieties. Most of the varieties retained its texture despite being frozen – some better than others. I could do without the snake fruit as I’m not a fan of those.
Lindsay was very helpful with enquiries and re-direction of my delivery to a different address.
The delivery was prompt and it arrived well packaged. The only thing I had an issue with was that I was charged two sets of fixed delivery fee for two items (Thai and Davao boxes) that were being delivered on the same day- this I think is quite unusual as usually one fee is charged, not two times.
That said, I will likely order some durians in the future and will recommend it to friends.
We are really glad that you had a good experience! We will email you privately about giving credit for the overcharge on delivery, we weren’t aware it had happened and that seem to be a glitch in our system.
Ryan (verified owner) –
The first Thai box I ordered was so so amazing ordered a second box and it just arrived in perfect condition still frozen 😃 i am still blown away how professionally packed this box is. I have never tasted frozen durian as good as this and i don’t even need to leave my house. So cool thanks again for making this available.
Ryan (verified owner) –
Yay!! My Thai land box arrived and it looks amazing 😃 so much durian i cant wait to try.
I can now actually try all them big name durians i have only seen on YouTube being described to me while my mouth waters lol now i can actually try them without leaving my house 👍 the tastes in this Thai box are incredible and i can see what all the durian fuss is about now. If your on the fence about durian or have had a bad first experience and have never tried any of these you really need to I could not believe some of the complex tastes i could taste were mind blowing.
Big thank you to year of the Durian offering this amazing service shipping durian around the world supporting amazing farms its pretty dam cool i feel v blessed to be part of this.
Thai box arrived frozen and box in great condition on time within the estimated time frame i was provided.
I will be ordering another box for sure : )
Enjoy your durian from these guys its a wonderful experience.
Konrad (verified owner) –
It is fantastic to be able to try a cross section of high quality Thai durians that I think would be hard to find unless you were able to visit those farming areas yourself. My personal favourites were the Nokyib and the Puangmanee. A unique experience for durian lovers. Thank you Year of the Durian. In a period of lockdowns, closures and delays it is amazing to be able to receive this. Also loved the Thai snakefruit and even the bonus freeze dried Monthong had a really intense durian candy flavour.