Yup, you read that right. Rob and I are moving to Southeast Asia.
After a brief stint in the United States, where we depended on frozen durian in a box, we will be soon be living in the heart of durian country. Are we excited? Heck yes! Be on the lookout for more durian stories and adventures in Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Cambodia in the coming months.
We leave tomorrow for our new home in Sri Lanka, where Rob will be working under the direction of durian loving The Fruitarian, Michael Arnstein. He will be using his experience with tropical fruit farming to help establish a mega fruit orchard project, where Mike has already started over 1,000 durian seedlings in addition to a lot of other fruits and veggies.
Meanwhile, I will be attending the World Durian Festival in Chanthaburi, Thailand as well as the Long Laplae Durian Festival, which will feature an odorless durian variety said to rival the famous Chanthaburi #1 (What!? An odorless durian you say? Check our interview with its creator here). I’ll also be returning to Cambodia to do a little extra research for the book that this is whole crazy adventure necessitates. I know, I know, get on it already.
In the flurry of packing, saying goodbye to friends and actually getting paid to write a few wellness articles for the Rogue Valley Messenger, I won’t have any new durian posts up for a few more days. I’m working on some really quality resources that require a lot of time and attention to detail which I frankly don’t have right now. So hang in there, more’s coming soon!
As we’re gearing up and getting excited about semi-settling in Sri Lanka (as settled as we get), please enjoy some posts from when we visited Sri Lanka last September. Links below:
- Rob Goes Sri Lankan: Rob tries to acclimate by cutting off his hair and growing a mustache while we find the worst durian of the year in a roadside stall in Pilimithilawa, nevertheless a culturally interesting and endearing experience.
- Limping to Good Durian: Rob nearly chops off his leg with a cleaver and then gets stitched up in the darkest, scariest clinic ever, but we find super awesome durian so who cares?
- Durian Seed Water: We learn of an interesting use for durian seeds (for men’s eyes only)
- Anuradhapura Durian Desert: A slight detour from durian takes us north to the ancient red ruins of Anuradhapura, still one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
- Recipe Durian Roti: A Sri Lankan twist on Southeast Asian flavor.