Bao Sheng Durian Festival
Overview | Frequently Asked
Is This Right For Me?
This weeklong celebration is for durian lovers looking for adventure, camaraderie, vegan health, fitness, and delicious, delicious, delicious durians in Penang, Malaysia.
Our venue is perched on the hillside overlooking the Straits of Malacca and the durian orchards. We’ll use the farm as our base to explore the island, with near-daily trips to the beach, national parks, temples, and local markets.
In addition to enjoying over 20 varieties of durian, we’ll also have other tasty tropical fruits and coconuts, a daily vegan dinner, and special durian cuisine like durian curry, durian noodles, durian salad, and more!
Duration: 8 days, 7 nights
Where: Penang, Malaysia
Group size: 36 durian lovers
Price is all inclusive of all durian, all fruit, accommodations, guided tours, transportation to the farm and around the island, some activities.
SOLD OUT FOR 2017
- All-you-can eat, high-end durian (worth $20 USD per pound)
- All-you-can-eat tropical fruit (season permitting) such as watermelon, mango, bananas, cempedak, coconut, passionfruit, rambutan, mangosteen.
- Prepared vegan and raw group dinners
- Smoothie Bar
- Daily vegan and raw vegan dinner
7 nights in clean, simple air-conditioned dorm rooms with a shared Western-style bathroom down the hall. Three persons per room.
Inquire about upgrades to private dwellings.
Private van for transportation to activities around the island and organized shuttles to the airport and Georgetown.
See last year’s (2016) schedule.
- All durian activities at Bao Sheng Durian Farm
- Daily Yoga and Running
- Visit to Titi Kerawong Waterfall
- Hiking to Penang Hill
- Local Malaysian Vegan Salad Demos
- Durian Ice Cream Sundae
- Cooking With Durian
- Air Itam Fruit and Vegetable Market
- Kek Lok Si Chinese Temple
- Grafting and Durian Propagation Classes
- Mailing Durian Seed Classes
- Your airfare or bus fare to Penang, Malaysia
- Snacks and meals purchased off-site
- Entry fees to off-site activities including national parks, temples, fun runs, and other farms
- Cost of vegan, local cooking classes held off-site
The Day Pass is available to those who don’t have time for a full week of durian-ing but who want to participate in all of the fun activities we have lined up. The Day Pass is from 7 AM to 9 PM.
Last year people liked:
Who We Are
I’m Lindsay, the author of this durian-obsessed site and the organizational force behind this “festival.” I use my experience of five years of durian and wild tropical fruit hunting to teach you about fruit diversity, horticulture, and the connoisseurship of tasting good durian.
Grant is a raw vegan endurance athlete from Australia who regularly participates in 100km races or longer. He has led annual raw vegan retreats in Thailand since 2011. You can check out his other retreats on Raw Aussie Athlete.
Master Seng and his son Zhi Vooi will be our durian sommeliers each week on their fourth-generation, organic durian farm set high in the hills. Along with an amazing view and a roof over our heads, they will provide the fruit, the durian, and durian wisdom.
For more information or to answer any of your questions, please either: